I participated in this campaign for One2One Network. I received a free copy of the CD to facilitate my review. By posting, I am eligible for incentives. All opinions stated are my own.
As two-thirds of the founding members of the Dixie Chicks, sisters Emily Robison and Martie Maguire have released their second album under the name Court Yard Hounds. Whether or not you were a fan of the Dixie Chicks, you've got to give Court Yard Hounds a try. They have truly hit this one out of the park. This brand new album, which released on July 16, is full of well written tracks and fabulous sounds. When talking about the group, Emily Robison said, "We're a band, not a side project. We like our sound, and we're going to continue to do this, and share something new this time around."
The songs on this album are drawn from personal experiences in their lives, however, are very relatable to both you and me. I guarantee that you will most likely find a song on this album that you have a connection to. A pop/country sound, with a contemporary feel, Emily and Martie have done an excellent job on their second album, Amelita. I wasn't aware of this group when they released their first album in 2010, but after listening to some of those songs, I can tell that they have evolved their sound tremendously. The first album has a more acoustic-folk sound to the songs, whereas Amelita tends to fall in the pop-country realm of music.
Here is the track listing from this album, along with my favorite lyrics from each song. Every song on this album had at least a line or two that stuck with me and really stood out. I already have a few of these songs stuck in my head - and it's for good reason.
1. Sunshine - Hey, don't rain on my parade and kill a perfect day, wasting my time. Hey, you always find a way to bring me down when I feel fine. We call you sunshine...
2. Amelita - I take your hand, let's go tonight. Just leave it all, I promise you'll be fine across the bridge, the lights of town. You smile, and never turn around. I remember you and Amelita, have you no pride. You've got the rest of your life.
3. The World Smiles - We're all crazy, but that don't phase me. Even in the dark, just wait and see. The world smiles. The world smiles at me. If I believe in the good stuff and open my eyes up, the world smiles.
4. Aimless Upward - My eyes are wide, aimless upward I will rise. And I'll be fine to take my time.
5. Guy Like You - I look up and I smile at the clouds and I make a kiss and throw a wish out. I run home just to write it all down, anything to make it work out with a guy like you.
6. Rock All Night - And we fly, yeah we fly. We're gonna rock all night. We'll do anything just to feel alive. Life is like a Himalaya ride, gonna rock all night.
7. Phoebe - The golden rule you never learn in school, boys can be mean but girls are down right cruel. Hey, you're gonna make him pay you're gonna make him pay.
8. Divided - I hate to leave you , all the while knowing that we're compromising. I wish you'd call me and beg me not to go. And I'll stay a little longer. Don't let this feeling go to waste. When the sun comes up, I want to be there, won't you stay a little longer. Don't let this feeling go to waste. When the sun comes up, I want to be there, when you wait.
9. Gets You Down - When hearts break you down, what you gonna do? Are you gonna pitch a fight and cry? Are you gonna beg the reasons why? Are you gonna say and do what's wrong or right? Well you could always love me.
10. Watch Your Step - In the bar we sit and take but you're not making sense. You're tongue tied, we both know why, I scare you half to death. Cause I'm a trip wire, make you walk on fire, balance on the bridge, who knew I'd sneak up on you and push you off the ledge.
11. The Road You Take - I thread the needle's eye and take a chance to know just how it feels when you take a leap of faith.
Overall, I rate this album a 9.5 out of 10. The only thing that I wish was different about this album, is that it was longer. If you don't believe me, go check it out for yourself. You can purchase it on Amazon or iTunes today.