education

education
education

travels

travels
travels

books

books
books

Jewelry Organization

So, I bought this large mirror from IKEA that matched my bedroom set.  And it sat in the packaging unopened for a long time.  And then I bought my house and moved.  When I brought the mirror in the house, I sat it up against the wall, only for it to slide down and break.  Great.  We all know that breaking a mirror is a million years of bad luck.  I, however, don't think it was terrible luck.  Yes, I had to make another trip up to IKEA to buy a new mirror to replace that one (which, if you know me, isn't a tragedy.  I'll find any excuse I can to drive up to IKEA!).  But then, I had a new mirror and a broken mirror.  And no idea what to do with the broken one.  And then one day, it clicked.

Enter my jewelry.  I have quite a few necklaces.  This photo is from my old house.  But you can see how I tended to just lay out my jewelry on the top of my dresser.  


No organization really.  Because if you saw it recently, it was more like a big pile of jewelry.  In the morning, I never felt like digging around for a particular necklace, so I just tended to wear a lot of the same pieces.  I knew I needed some sort of organization.  But I have so many, that most desktop necklace holders were too small, or weren't long enough for my extra long necklaces.  

In terms of decoration, I love open frames hanging on the walls.  So, when I broke my mirror, I thought about taking out the broken glass and just hanging the frame.  Great, but how would I complete the look?  A bunch of frames hanging together?  Just the one?  What if I hung my jewelry inside the frame!  Bingo!  

Fast forward about four months, because that's about how long it took from coming up with the idea, to actually putting the plan in motion.  I've had this mirror sitting under my bed way too long, and I was tired of seeing it there.  So, I bought some command strips (to hang the frame) and some clear mini command hooks for the necklaces.  And I have super fun necklace organization!


Fun and functional!  I now not only have organized jewelry, but I also have fun 'artwork' filling up this empty wall!



A few people asked how I had the jewelry hanging.  I used the clear mini command hooks.  These hooks worked for the majority of my necklaces.  However, I did have one or two that had chains too thick to hook into these hooks.


These decorations were left over from my winter mantle decorations.  I liked them too much to pack them up and put them away, and I thought they would look perfect in my bedroom!



And now that I don't have piles of jewelry on my dresser, it's finally clean for once!  :)




And just for fun, here's how I store my earrings.  I bought this fun dress form at Marshall's and use sewing pins (that have the pearls on the ends) to hold the earrings in place!


What's your best organizing secret?  Do you have any fun tips for organizing jewelry???

2 comments

  1. This is brilliance. Absolute brilliance. I will be taking this idea for my own. I have a lovely jewelry stand but I don't have all my necklaces on it and this gives me a reason to buy super cute necklaces I wouldn't really ever wear because they'd also double as artwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Totally take it! I can't wait to see what you come up with!!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I can't wait to hear from you!