education

education
education

travels

travels
travels

books

books
books

Using 'Clip & Flip' Cards in the Classroom

For the first time today, we used 'Clip & Flip' cards as a way of reviewing context clues.  I use task cards a lot.  All the time!  We use them in groups to review, as SCOOT games, as a walk the room activity to review and for graded assignments, so even though the kids and I all love using task cards, I wanted to find something new and different to add to our daily instruction.


We are currently working on context clues, and it's always such a hard thing for our students to grasp.  So I was in need of additional resources.  I, naturally, gravitated right to Teachers Pay Teachers, and started searching.  I came across these 'Clip & Flip' cards by Games for Gains and figured they'd be a great option.  I bought two different levels (one for 2 & 3 and one for 4 & 5) so I could easily differentiate the cards my students received.


I've seen many different sellers on TPT have versions of these types of cards, and I have even made one myself (for compound words) that I've never even used!  Although, I have a feeling I'll be making more of these types of cards now!


I didn't know how the kids would react or if they'd even work well.  But I really enjoyed this and it seemed like the kids did as well!  All you need are a set of cards, these were laminated and were sturdier than regular paper, and clothespins.  The idea behind the 'Clip & Flip' cards are to be a self-checking assessment for the students.  But since it was our first time using these, I gave each student 8 cards and 8 clothespins.  They were allowed to find a spot, anywhere in the room, to work.  


They laid out all of their cards and clipped the clip over their answer, and then had to call me over before they could check their work.  When I came over, they would flip all the cards over and then, for any cards they got incorrect, we talked about what the correct answer was, and why.  Eventually, though, I hope to build them up to a point where they can simply use this as a self-checking assessment and maybe discuss their reasonings with a partner.  


If you have not tried 'Clip & Flip' cards in your classroom, I recommend you give them a shot!  They are super simple to set up and use!


blog signature photo Signature_zpsoxfummyt.png

No comments

Thanks for commenting! I can't wait to hear from you!