education

education
education

travels

travels
travels

books

books
books

2017 Reading Challenge | #vtReadingChallenge


Tim Challies, one of my favorite Christian bloggers, is hosting a reading challenge for the second year in a row.  In an effort to challenge myself with what I read this year, I've decided to participate in the 2017 Reading Challenge that Visual Theology and Tim Challies have developed.  You can read more about the challenge on his blog.  Click here for that post. 

You begin by setting a goal at the beginning of the year, and then progress through the levels as you finish each one.  However, I'm not going to set a 'goal' for myself.  Obviously, I want to get as far along in this challenge as I can, so I'm just going to start working on the "Light" level and then see how far I can progress throughout the year.  The image below shows the different levels and categories that are to be read for this year's challenge.  You can also download the image in full size on Tim's blog, which is linked above.


The following list is what I'm thinking I might read for the "Light" section of the challenge.  These titles may change, based on new books I discover, or topics I'm feeling compelled to read at a certain time of the year.  However, these books are the ones I'm thinking I'll read to start off the challenge.  As I finish the "Light" section and move onto the next section, I'll post another update on the blog with the titles I hope to read.

The Light Reader

A book about history - The Reformation by Stephen Nichols
A book targeted at your gender - The Gospel Centered Woman by Wendy Alsup
A book with at least 400 pages - Foundations of Grace by Steven Lawson
A book your pastor recommends - Tactics by Gregory Koukl
A book about christian living - Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper
A book more than 100 years old - All of Grace by Charles Spurgeon
A book of your choice - None Like Him by Jen Wilkin
A book about a current issue - Abortion by R.C. Sproul

Have you read any of these books?  What are your thoughts on my current selection of books, and on the reading challenge in general?  Will you be participating in this, or any other reading challenge this year?  I'd love to hear your thoughts and plans!  Have a you tried reading plans in the past?  How have they worked for you?

blog signature photo Signature_zpsoxfummyt.png

2 comments

  1. What a great idea, Sarah! Here is my list so far... Not all of my choices are technically "Christian".

    2017 Reading Challenge

    The Light Reader
    Ο A biography
    Abraham Lincoln: Redeemer President by Allen C. Guelzo
    Ο A classic novel
    Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
    Ο A book about history
    George Washington’s World by Genevieve Foster
    Ο A book targeted at your gender
    Looking for Lovely: Collecting the Moments that Matter
    by Annie F. Downs
    Ο A book about theology
    Promise and Deliverance by S.G. De Graaf
    Ο A book with at least 400 pages
    The Confessions of Saint Augustine
    Ο A book your pastor recommends
    The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence
    Ο A book about Christian living
    Liturgy of the Ordinary: Sacred Practices in Everyday
    Life by Tish Harrison Warren
    Ο A book more than 100 years old
    Pensees by Blaise Pascal
    Ο A book published in 2017
    T.B.D
    Ο A book for children or teens
    Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
    Ο A book of your choice
    T.B.D.
    Ο A book about a current issue
    T.B.D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Great list! Have fun with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I can't wait to hear from you!