education

education
education

travels

travels
travels

books

books
books

The Children's Machine by Seymour Papert




Goodreads Rating: 3.95/5
My Rating: 4/5

Goodreads Synopsis: In his classic book, Mindstorms: Children, Computers, and powerful Ideas, Seymour Papert set out a vision of how computers could change school.  In The Children's Machine he now looks back over a decade during which American schools acquired more than three million computers and assesses progress and resistance to progress.

My Review: I was required to read this for a graduate course.  As most students, I was dreading getting into this book, even though I love reading, because I thought it was going to be a tedious, boring piece of literature.  However, I was wrong.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading Papert's views on technology in the classroom.  I do wish the setting was a little more current, as this book was written in 1993, so the lingo is a bit old, however, the basic ideas are the same today.  Papert spent a great deal of time discussing the use of technology in the classrooms, student-centered learning, teacher-centered teaching, etc.  This is a great read for teachers in K-12 classrooms today!

No comments

Thanks for commenting! I can't wait to hear from you!