education

education
education

travels

travels
travels

books

books
books

Night Swim by Jessica Keener



Goodreads Rating: 3.3/5
My Rating: 2/5

Goodreads Synopsis: Sixteen-year-old Sarah Kunitz lives in a post, suburban world of 1970 Boston.  From the outside, her parents' lifestyle appears enviable - a world defined by cocktail parties, expensive cards, and live-in maids to care for their children - but inside their five-bedroom house, all is not well for the Kunitz family.  Coming home from school, Sarah finds her well-dressed, pill popping mother lying disheveled on their living room couch.  At night, to escape their parents' arguments, Sarah and her oldest brother, Peter, find solace in music, while her two younger brothers retreat to their rooms and imaginary lives.  Any vestige of decorum and stability drains away when their mother dies in a car crash one terrible winter day.  Soon after, their father, a self-absorbed, bombastic professor begins an affair with a younger colleague.  Sarah, aggrieved, dives into two summer romances that lead to unforeseen consequences.  In a story that will make you laugh and cry, Night Swim shows how a family, bound by heartache, learns to love again.

My Review: Disappointment is the only word I have for this book.  The only reason that I gave this story a two-star rating, as opposed to a one-star, is that I reserve my one-star ratings for books that I couldn't finish.  I did finish this book, but it wasn't easy.  I stumbled across this book on Goodreads and thought that it sounded so promising.  However, it was a book that I just had to fly through just so I could finish it and move on to the next book.  And I hate when I have that feeling about a book.  I finished reading this story a few months before writing the review, and I honestly can't remember much about the story - it was that forgettable.  The writing wasn't good and it never seemed to draw me in.  I (unfortunately) wouldn't recommend this book.

No comments

Thanks for commenting! I can't wait to hear from you!